Thursday, June 26, 2008

Dakota by Martha Grimes

My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
Dakota is a sequel to Biting the Moon. I was hoping that it would be a better read than its predesessor, but was sadly disappointed. I honestly cannot believe that these two books were written by Ms. Grimes who gives us such wonderful English mysteries. The writing style is not as polished in this two book series. However, I must say that Ms. Grimes has indeed made me aware of the tendency of some humans to be cruel to animals. The second book focusus on the meat packing industry - specifically concerning pigs - and I have almost decided to give up eating meat. I skipped several passages because of the unpleasant descriptions of a slaughter house. It is not easy to read about the inhumane treatment of animals. I have decided to research where my meat does come from and the treatment of the animals.



This book is not a "must read", but I was curious about the main character, Andi Oliver, and her history. Too bad I had to spend so much time being taught about the unpleasant aspects of my carnivorous eating habits. The book is not preachy, but I would have preferred reading more about the other characters in the novel. I met a western author, the owner of a diner named May's Long Gone, a guy named Eddie who worked in a seedy motel, Jake Cade who used to work in the slaughter house but quit because the job made him a wife-beater --- wow!



Andi Oliver is worth another book if only because of the people she meets on her journey.


View all my reviews.

No comments: